Saturday, November 5, 2011

I am ramping up to use it in my classroom...

I will have to be honest and say that I love the iPad...but, I have not used it nearly as much as I thought I would. Life has been busy and it is one more thing to "do" amongst a long "to do" list. But, when I have used it, it has almost always been work related and I have learned a lot! I have downloaded a lot of anatomy and physiology based apps. Some of which I took their mini-quizzes and realized I have a lot of tiny upper-level terms that I had not used in a while that I am rusty. It was humbling as an instructor. But, also very motivating at the same time.

I did pay for a "rotator cuff rehabilitation" app that is amazing. It allows for general diagnostics, provides recommendations as to where to go from here (for example see a doctor), and then it demonstrates both prehab and rehab exercises that could be used with the rotator cuff. I teach a human movement class and I have been very anxious to use that $4 app for the class. But, with only one iPad, it seems difficult to include. But, I still think it would be of value. So, at this time I am investigating the possibility of borrowing a few other iPads, paying about $16 to install it on 4 more machines and then have students break up into groups with a few case studies and then go though the diagnostics and go through the recommended rehab as if they were the patient. I am very excited about it! I love the fact that with the apps, they are not WiFi dependent and can be used without worry of network issues. BONUS!

We were also asked to reflect on another question...List at least one idea for a "mini" app that you'd like to see developed by Dave's spring 2012 class (how would it enhance your curriculum and/or the students' learning experience?)

Dave and I have had a couple conversations. I told him to "be careful of what he asks for" that I have more than enough to keep his students busy for years! ;-) But one that jumps out as the most beneficial app would be a blood distribution app where students can look at blood distribution comparing a resting individual to an exercising individual depicting acute changes in blood flow occur. Things that would need to be included in the app are: total blood flow increasing 5x, blood flow to the muscles increasing drastically while total blood flow to the brain would remain constant or elevate slightly, and touching on blood flow and distribution to the select organs/organ systems. It would be wonderful to have virtual people with a beating heart on the side visually while mathematically demonstrating cardiac output and stroke volume as exercise intensity increases.

I already passed the book and calculation off to Dave on the topic...I can't wait to see where it goes from here! :-)

Toni

No comments:

Post a Comment